Saturday, May 17, 2008

SInbad's Last Voyage by Toni Sweeeney


1 - How did you get interested in the topic that’s featured in your book?

I've always liked adventure stories and movies, as well as SF and fantasy.


2 - Tell us a bit about your background. What have you done in the past that relates to your book and that topic?

I've certainly never been to another planet, or had a husband arrested for being a spy or anything like what happens to Andi! The only things we have in common are our physical descriptions and the fact that we live in California. I was born in the South, lived there the first 30 years of my life, moved to Nebraska with my son in 1975, lived knee-deep in snow for 25 years, and then lit out for sunny Orange County. I have a major in Art, English, and Drama, and was a dancer for 13 years, as well as acting in college drama productions. I think those two facts helped me write my books.


3 - What advise would you give to someone who is interested in your topic?

Enjoy it!


4 - What do you see as the benefit to participating in groups and organizations? My first thought would be networking opportunities and the chance for personal and business growth. What are your reasons?

Those things do help. Participating also gives one a chance to share ideas, and seek inspiration and assistance in writing, especially if when having problems with a chapter or subject matter.


5 - Who is the ideal person to read your book? If each person that reads this was going to recommend your book to one person, what sort of person would they want to chose?

I think anyone who likes science fiction--a Sci-Fi Channel devotee--with a little romance thrown in, will like this book.


6 - What do you think ignites a person’s creativity?

For me, it's seeing or hearing something that I can't get out of my head...a phrase, an idea. I have a rule--if I think about it, and it comes back into my mind three times, I know I have to write about it.


7 - What have you found to be the biggest stumbling block for people who want to start writing?

Thinking that after writing a novel--and editing it, and refining it, and proofing it--that they're just going to send it off and--wham!--it's going to be accepted somewhere immediately.


8 - How would you suggest they can overcome that?

Acknowledge that it may take numerous failures and numerous rejections before anything is accepted anywhere. What you consider your best work may not be the one to actually be published first. Someone you think is trivial and ridiculous may be what catches the publisher's fancy.


9 - What do you find is the biggest motivator for people to succeed? Is it money, security, desire for fame or something else?

For me, it was to earn approval. To have people see that I could accomplish something. I also wanted to share my stories because I thought other people would enjoy them, too. For others--I'd imagine it's either for fame or money, not necessarily in that order.


10 - Who is the “perfect” person to read your book?

Someone who likes a romantic adventure with fantasy elements.


No comments: