Sunday, April 20, 2008

Start with Joyful Paws


1 - How did you get interested in the topic that’s featured in your book?


I have always loved dogs. When my dachshund became paralyzed from a spinal injury and had to be fitted for a cart, I received much compassion from strangers as I would take her about in my little town. People were fascinated by the "little dog in tires" and wanted to know her story. So, that is why I decided to tell her story.


2 - Tell us a bit about your background. What have you done in the past that relates to your book and that topic?


I began writing about three years ago. At that time my chocolate lab, Cassie had been diagnosed with cancer. I was devastated. It really made me realize how short life really was. After much soul searching I decided to pursue my love of writing and write about animals. I landed a job working for our local paper and wrote a monthly column titled, "For the Love of Animals." I also joined a woman's writing circle to expand my writing further. As my confidence in my writing grew, I attended a Writer's Festival the following year. I was thinking of writing an adult non-fiction book based on my journey in life and the lessons I learned from my dogs. When I returned home from the festival I decided to write a children's book about Frankie. I believed her story could help spread a positive message.


3 - What advise would you give to someone who is interested in your topic?


My story is about my dachshund that becomes paralyzed from a ruptured disk. I would say research all your options. These dogs do not have to be put down prematurely and they can live quality lives even with a ruptured disk and paralysis.


4 - What do you see as the benefit to participating in groups and organizations? My first thought would be networking opportunities and the chance for personal and business growth. What are your reasons?


Definitely to spread the message that dogs can lead a quality life in a wheelchair. Also sharing her message with children so they realize we all face challenges, but we can overcome our challenges or make positive choices to any challenge we are facing.


5 - Who is the ideal person to read your book? If each person that reads this was going to recommend your book to one person, what sort of person would they want to chose?


Every child, pet owner, grandparents.


6 - What do you think ignites a person’s creativity?


For me it was inspiration and also wanting to find more meaning for my life and leave a legacy


7 - What have you found to be the biggest stumbling block for people who want to start writing?


Time and confidence


8 - How would you suggest they can overcome that?


Start with 10 minutes of writing a day. Write about anything. Find a local writing group or on-line group to join for support.


9 - What do you find is the biggest motivator for people to succeed? Is it money, security, desire for fame or something else?


I think each person is different. As a writer, I think we just want to be heard. For me it is important to leave a legacy.


10 - Who is the “perfect” person to read your book?


A child


11 - Is there anything else you would like to share with us?


If you have a story tell, and we all do, go for it. Follow your heart and your heart will guide you.

No comments: