Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Walking Man


Walking Man: A Modern Missions Experience in Latin America

1 - How did you get interested in the topic that’s featured in your book?

I came to know the Lord as a young adult thanks to a generous family I met and since then it has been a passion for me. He has worked through me and has helped me accomplish so many things. I can no longer imagine my life without Him and letting others know about Jesus is one of my most important goals in life.

2 - Tell us a bit about your background. What have you done in the past that relates to your book and that topic?

I have worked in missions for over 30 years and there are so many experiences to tell. I dreaded the life of hard labor offset by nights of drunken stupor that my father modeled, I ran away from home after high school and lived a vagrant's life, surviving through delinquency, until through the generous support of a Christian family I came to know Christ. I left the jungle to study at a seminary in Lima, Peru and have worked as a pastor ever since.

3 - What advise would you give to someone who is interested in your topic?

I would tell them to be very patient and trust the Lord. There is no easy way to get things done in this field. It is hard to get through to people, it is hard to incentive others to work and it is hard to get things done even if the people are willing to accept Jesus and ready to do what it takes. But even if things don’t come easy it is the most rewarding job you can imagine. Knowing that you are making a difference in someone’s life is truly a miracle.

4 - What do you see as the benefit to participating in groups and organizations? My first thought would be networking opportunities and the chance for personal and business growth. What are your reasons?

Knowing people and maintaining relationships is essential to spreading the word of God through the world. Getting things done requires of all the help that we can get and building those lasting relationships has helped me get through the most difficult times in my life. A missionary relies many times on the help that others can give at the time, and having people to go to when in difficulty is an amazing gift. Also, having many to celebrate the successes makes those glorious times even sweeter.

5 - Who is the ideal person to read your book? If each person that reads this was going to recommend your book to one person, what sort of person would they want to chose?

This book is ideal for people wanting to feel the presence of God in their lives. Also, it is a great tool for those looking for a sense of purpose and those wishing to get inspiration to act upon a goal. This book is a testimony and allows others to understand more of what it is to be a missionary and what it takes to be one. It is great for those considering making positive changes in their lives and for those who need a way to channel the positive actions they do.

6 - What do you think ignites a person’s creativity?

In my case, the Lord has inspired me to do the most amazing things in life. He is the light that shows me the right path and the one that has given me the tools to build the life that I have. His actions in my life have given me the inspiration to write about all the experiences I have been through.

7 - What have you found to be the biggest stumbling block for people who want to start writing?

I guess having enough time is the biggest stumbling block. For those of us that have full time pursuits and want to write as a sideline, it can be hard to convert those good intentions into printed words.

8 - How would you suggest they can overcome that?

The thing that has worked best for me is to block off a few hours on one day a week or one hour the same time each day – usually the early morning before the phone has started to ring – and just do it!

9 - What do you find is the biggest motivator for people to succeed? Is it money, security, desire for fame or something else?

People seem to be motivated for all the wrong reasons these days and that is why so many of them are unhappy with their lives. Jesus is my biggest motivation to get things done and that is why I am determined to let other people know about Christ.

10 - Who is the “perfect” person to read your book?

The perfect person to read this book would be both someone in deep need of a better reason to live and someone who already has the urge to let Jesus in his or her life. Someone who is lost could read this book and find that answer they so desperately are looking for, and someone who already feels the urge can find a better way to channel it through the experiences I tell.

No comments: